Read our message regarding Covid-19

Personal and practical legal advice in Victoria, BC

Personal Injury

Not everyone who has been in an accident will need to hire a lawyer, but everyone should talk to a lawyer.

sarah speaking with clientWhen you have been in an accident, the last thing you need worry about is what to say to an adjuster, how to access and pay for medical treatment, how to preserve important evidence, and how (and when) to resolve your claim. Your first priority is recovering from your injuries. Hiring a lawyer prevents the insurance claim process from interfering with your recovery, allowing you to focus on what is most important.

If you have suffered only minor injuries as a result of an accident, however, you may wish to resolve the claim on your own. Increase your bargaining power by learning what to ask for and how to support your demand.

Don’t wait to talk to a lawyer, contact me before you talk to an insurance adjuster. I can meet you at my office, at your home, or in hospital.

Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident in BC, you are entitled to certain medical and rehabilitative benefits from ICBC, regardless of who is at fault for the accident, under Part 7 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Regulation. You may also be entitled to total temporary disability benefits.

While you should talk to a lawyer as soon as possible, you should not feel rushed to settle your claim. Generally, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim in court, so take your time and make sure that you are fully recovered, or that your injuries have reached maximum recovery.

When it’s time to settle your claim for injuries, you will need to consider whether you have a claim for loss of past wages, special damages (out of pocket expenses), pain and suffering, loss of future earning capacity, and cost of future care. You must prove that you have suffered losses in each of these areas. If you need help to put together the evidence you need in order to maximize your damages, contact me.

Occupier’s Liability

Property owners have a duty to keep public areas free of hazards that might cause slips, trips, or other injuries.

If you have been injured on someone else’s property, contact me.

*the information on this website is not legal advice.